Manufacturing city and port, Turku ja Pori province, 135 mi NW of Helsinki, near the Gulf of Bothnia, SW Finland. Founded at the mouth of the Kokemaki River in 1365, it was removed to its present site in1558 and was chartered in 1564. It was once a member of the Hanseatic League. The city had the largest commercial fleet in the nation by the mid -19th century. It was destroyed by fires in the 17th and 19th centuries.