City in Krakow province, 45 mi E of Kracow, SE Poland. Founded in 1330 as a fortified town by the Tarnowski family, it was completely leveled by fire in the 15th century. Once rebuilt, the city became a cultural center in the 16th century. After passing to Austria in 1772, it was returned to Poland after World War II, during which its industrial plant was destroyed. Its 14th-century cathedral contains tombs considered to be among Poland's finest Renaissance treasures.